Doppelganger is always a fascinating subject. It makes you wonder if there is a parallel universe and if time travel is really real and even more scary yet intriguing – who was or is your doppelganger. Doppelganger are said to be either the spiritual doubles of a person or their downright evil twin. And they don’t have to be of the same sex either as you’ll see in a few of the photos.
The Doppelganger comes from the German word Doppel (double) and Gänger (walker) . The singular and plural forms are the same but English folks tend to add the ‘s’ on the end to show the plural form.
Some of these photos we’ve seen many times viralling around the web while others are new to us. We often wonder what these celebrities thought of their past doppelganger. Can they see what we see in their past look-alikes? Either way, check out these 37 remarkable celebrity doppelgangers.
1. Peter Dinklage… and Diego Velazquez’s “Portrait of Sebastián de Morra”
2. Jennifer Lawerence… and her Egyptian twin-actress Zubaida Tharwat
3. Orlando Bloom… and Nicolae Grigorescu
4. Conan O’Brien… and Marshall Henry Twitchell
5. Jimmy Fallon… and Mahir Cayan
6. John Krasinski… and his look alike from the past
7. Justin Timberlake… and this old time criminal.
8. Bruce Willis… and WWII General Douglas MacArthur
9. Sylvester Stallone… and Pope Gregory IX
10. Keanu Reeves… Immortal?
11. Rupert Grint… and David Wilkie
12. Macaulay Culkin… and young Vladimir Putin
13. Jack Black… and Paul Revere
14. Anne Hathaway… and Francisco de Goya’s “Officer”
15. John Travolta… and this man from the 1800s
16. Nicolas Cage… this Civil-War-era man from Tennessee
17. Mark Zuckerberg… and King Philip IV
18. Eddie Murphy… and this dapper gentleman.
19. Alec Baldwin… and Millard Fillmore
20. Jay-Z… and a Man from Harlem in 1939
21. Michael Cera… and Adolf Hitler’s Mother, Klara
22. Tommy Lee Jones… and Andrew Johnson
23. Zach Galifianakis… and Louis Vuitton
24. Brad Pitt… and Herman Rorschach
25. Leonardo DiCaprio… and Judy Zipper
27. Andrew Garfield… and Young Leon Trotsky
28. Queen Latifah… and Zora Neale Hurston
29. Charlie Sheen… and John Brown
30. Maggie Gyllenhaal… and Rose Wilder Lane
31. Christian Bale… and this guy!
32. Ellen DeGeneres and Henry David Thoreau
33. General George Patton and Donald Trump
34. Paul Giamatti and William Shakespeare
35. Henry Ward Beecher and John Stewart
36. Benjamin Franklin and Jeffery Tambor
37. Glenn Close and George Washington
DID YOU KNOW?
Catherine the Great, the powerful 18th-century Empress of Russia, was a powerful and dangerous figure. She was not fazed by small matters, such as seeing her own ghostly doppelganger take over her throne.
It is said that one night, Catherine was lying in her bed when worried servants told her they’d just seen her enter the throne room. When Catherine set out to investigate, she found her doppelganger sitting calmly on the throne. Catherine immediately ordered her sentries to shoot at her ghostly counterpart. The stories don’t tell whether the bullet had any effect on the spectral Empress. However, Catherine herself died soon afterwards . . .